Prefer and Would Rather


- Talking about preference.
- would rather - prefer
- Usage. Examples.
- Differences.


UsageExamples
Would rather expresses preference. We use it when
we talk about specific conditions.
In the affirmative:
  would rather V1 ...
  would rather V1 ... than V1
In the negative:
  would rather not V1 ..
In the question:
  Would you rather V1 ...?



I don't want to stay at home. I'd rather go out.
I'd rather go out than stay at home.

I'd rather not stay at home.

Would you rather stay at home tonight?
Prefer also expresses preference. But we use it
to talk about "likes" or "dislikes".
In the affirmative:
  prefer Ving ...
  prefer Ving ... to Ving
In the negative:
  don't  prefer Ving ..
In the question:
  Do you prefer Ving ...?



I prefer riding.
I prefer riding to driving.

I don't prefer driving.

Do you prefer driving?


Tags: , ,

About author

Anadolu Liseleri 9. sınıf müfredatına göre hazırlanmış sitemizde ünitelerde öğreneceğiniz yapıları ve yeni kelimeleri burada tekrar edebilirsiniz.