need to , don't need to and needn't

- About "need to"and "don't need to".
- About "needn't".
- What is the difference between needn't and don't need to?
- New Bridge to Success Grade 9





UsageExamples
In the affirmative
need to means "It is necessary to do something."
need to is similar to have to both in meaning and
structure
I need to work harder. He needs to go now.
I have to work harder. He has to go now.
In the negative
don't need to
means "It's not necessary to do something." 
don't need to is similar to don't have to.
You don't need to get up early tomorrow.
You don't have to get up early tomorrow.
I don't need to wear a stylish jacket tonight.
I don't have to wear a stylish jacket tonight.
In the negative  
needn't is a modal verb.
needn't means "It's not necessary to do something."
needn't is similar to don't need to and don't have to
You don't have to be smart to be rich.
I don't need to get up early tomorrow.
I needn't get up early tomorrow.
She needn't talk to me.


Tags:

About author

Anadolu Liseleri 9. sınıf müfredatına göre hazırlanmış sitemizde ünitelerde öğreneceğiniz yapıları ve yeni kelimeleri burada tekrar edebilirsiniz.