few, a few, little, a little


- a few, few, a little, little
- countable nouns, uncountable nouns
- What is the difference between a few and few?
- What is the difference between a little and little?


StructureExamples
a few
  • a few is used with countable nouns
    to mean "a small number"
  • a few has a positive meaning.
  • a few is used in affirmative statements.

There are a few bananas in the basket.
I have a few friends in Madrid.
She needs a few tomatoes to make salad.
I would like to ask a few questions.
There are a few people waiting at the bus stop.
He has got a few books in his bag.
I need a few hours of sleep.
few
  • few is used with countable nouns
    to mean "hardly any, not many"
  • few has a negative meaning.
  • few is used in affirmative statements.
  • In everyday speech "hardly any" or
    "not many" is used instead of "few"
There're few bananas in the basket. They aren't enough :((
There aren't many bananas in the basket.
There are few people in the conference, so it can be
cancelled.
There are hardly any people in the conference.
I have few opportunities to practise my English  :((
I haven't many opportunities to practise my English.
I have hardly any opportunities to practise my English.
a little
  • a little is used with uncountable
    nouns to mean "a small amount"
  • a little has a positive meaning.
  • a little is used in affirmative statements.


There is a little water in the bottle.
She needs a little salt.
I eat a little cheese every day.
There is a little milk in the carton.
They want a little information.
He needs a little time to finish the race.
I have a little money in my wallet.
There is a little juice in the bottle.
little
  • little is used with uncountable
    nouns to mean "hardly any, not much"
  • little has a negative meaning.
  • littleis used in affirmative statements.
  • In everyday speech "hardly any" or
    "not much" is used instead of "little"
There is little water in the bottle. It's not enough :((
There is hardly any water in the bottle.
There isn't much water in the bottle.
I have little money in my wallet. How can I take
the tickets? :((
I have hardly any money in my wallet.
I haven't much money in my wallet.
He hasn't much hope of winning the race.
Related QuizQuiz: a few or a little          »


Tags: , , , , ,

About author

Anadolu Liseleri 9. sınıf müfredatına göre hazırlanmış sitemizde ünitelerde öğreneceğiniz yapıları ve yeni kelimeleri burada tekrar edebilirsiniz.