Can - Can't


- Elementary Level
- How can you make sentences using "can"? Simple!
- Read the instructions 
- Make sentences using "can"



CAN – CAN’T


Formation:
POSITIVE STATEMENT
  Subject     CAN    VERB 1
I can make a cake.
She can speak English.
You can  play the piano.


NEGATIVE STATEMENT
  Subject     CAN'T    VERB 1
I can't make a cake.
She can't speak English.
You can't  play the piano.



YES / NO QUESTION  "POSITIVE"
  CAN      Subject   VERB 1  Short Answer  
Can I make a cake? Yes, you can / No, you can't  
Can she speak English?Yes, she can / No, she can't
Can you    play the piano?   Yes, I can / No, I can't



YES / NO QUESTION  "NEGATIVE"
  CAN      Subject   VERB 1  Short Answer  
Can't I make a cake? Yes, you can / No, you can't  
Can't she speak English?Yes, she can / No, she can't
Can't you    play the piano?   Yes, I can / No, I can't



INFORMATION QUESTION 
  Question word    Can SubjectVerb 1
How can Imake a cake?
Where can shesit?
What can't theyeat?


Usage:

  1. Ability

    I can make a cake
    .
    She can't play the guitar.
    Ali can lift the table.

  2. Request

    Can you tell me the way to the post office, please?
    Can you help me?
    Can you take my picture, please?

  3. Permission

    Can I open the window?
    Can I go out
    Can I ask a question?

    Typical responses for "request" and "permission"
    Of course.
    Certainly.
    Sure.
    I'm sorry, I can't.

  4. Possibility

    I can come to class and check your answers.
    You can become a rich man.
    She can't be 40 years old!
Tags: ,

About author

Anadolu Liseleri 9. sınıf müfredatına göre hazırlanmış sitemizde ünitelerde öğreneceğiniz yapıları ve yeni kelimeleri burada tekrar edebilirsiniz.